Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I was sitting on the plane, praying for my grandpa, praying for my family.  I'm sure a lot of my prayer and thinking was wrapped up in legacy and wanting to be a part of the legacy my Grandparents had begun when the smack came.  You know those smacks, right?  The kind you aren't expecting, but when they come boy do they hit you.  When I got smacked, I was left sitting there in the plane wondering about what that smack meant, about what I needed to do.  I didn't know, other than that things needed to change.

When you get hit with the reality of your mortality, general unhealthy-ness and complete lack of stewardship...there isn't much else you can do other than begin to make a fundamental change in how live, act, and eat.  Sitting at around 260 lbs with a 40in waist; my reality check came the day before I was to play in a golf tournament fundraiser for an awesome organization.  Mandy and I talked and we were intent on getting signed up at a gym and it was just time to get healthy.  Next day at the golf tournament I'm given a box of Spark and I was introduced to to the supplements that I would partner with healthy eating and exercise to completely change my health.

Now, one year later, I'm down around 210 lbs, easily fitting into a size 36 waist, lifting what I was lifting in college and running like I never have before.  I cannot believe the change in my health.  I cannot believe I've maintained it that long!  Thank you again to all those who have believed in me, encouraged me, and challenged me to make this lifestyle change permanent.  You are all a blessing!

To those of you who have watched my journey on Facebook or this blog...no matter how infrequent I post...to those who have watched and wondered if you could to, the answer is why not?  The only thing stopping you is you.  I had all the excuses, too busy, my family is all like this, i've got bum knees...and yet, when it became a priority, a necessity, and spiritual issue...all those excuses faded away.  Don't get me wrong, it was hard, absolutely.  There were many mornings where all I wanted to do was hit snooze, or grab the easy snack or meal...all of those temptations remained and still remain.  And yet, one decision, by one decision, by one decision...you build up discipline, you build up strength, you build up courage, and you build up your health.  Be encouraged, let me know how I can encourage you.  Don't give up on yourself, get out there, get after it, and believe in yourself.

I do.  I did.  I am.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!