Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Alright, we are back from Boston.  I didn't quite hit my bench goal, maxed out at 275.  Not bad after a 10 year hiatus from lifting...but more to go.  I've been thankful for goals like that.  Every time I hit a goal, I get to set a new one...it's like checking off the list.  My wife loves making lists, whenever we have a lot to do, she always wants to make a list of those things rather than just attacking it...I personally think it's because she likes the physical act of crossing things off her list...but there is some wisdom there.

I tink one of the main struggles I faced when losing weight is that I always set the end goal.  I want to look like this:

Yeah, so what.  And when that doesn't happen in a month or so, i'm done...back to eating what i want, when i want and doing nothing for exercise.  That goal seemed way to impossible.  But then two things changed.  First, the end goal changed...it wasn't about being able to be in an underwear ad (I'd never do that)...it was about being healthy, it was about honoring God with the physical body I've been given to steward..  And second, my focus changed.  Instead of focusing on where I want to be at the end, I focused on small things.  First it was the 24 Day Challenge.  24 days, I can do that.  And when I saw the results, 10 lbs and 4 inches, I set a new goal...now it became dropping a pant size, or staying at the gym 4-5 days a week, or choosing a healthy snack, today.  Slowly, shortly...the goals became habit, the gym has become a habit, fruit and veggies for a snack has become a habit.  And now, I'm benching 275 again, I weigh 208, and I'm can tell you I'm meeting my goal, each and every day, I'm healthier, I'm stronger, I have more energy...and my kids are no longer eating everything they can to look like the basketball that was in Dad's belly...now they avoid french fries, because they don't want to get lazy and tired.  Set those goals, make them ones you can meet, make them intrinsic motivators, rather than extrinsic.  I'd love to look like that dude, and maybe one day I might...but that's an extrinsic goal.  I'm going for intrinsic, I want to feel healthy, I want to see my kids health influenced, I want to see others make the decision for themselves to not let their health fall by the way-side.

____________________________
If you are interested in knowing more about the 24 - Day Challenge, click the picture or ask me about it. We've seen so many results in ourselves, as well as in our friends.  Would love to share more on our story.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!