Monday, May 27, 2013


I had been going to Zumba and Hip Hop classes with a friend for the last few months and been loving it.  Just  recently I switched gyms and started going to a new class.  My experience was interesting!  I was in a class with about 100 men and women.  This in itself is a set up for disaster.  If you've never done Zumba you should know it's lots of movement in all directions and it's fast.  If one person gets off track and steps the wrong way in a class this size it's going to be human dominoes.  So even though I have plenty of practice with Zumba I was a bit nervous about a step in the wrong direction and being the cause of a major 24hour fitness disaster.

My next favorite thing I realized once we started was the dynamic group of people in my pocket of the gym. Directly in front of me was a middle aged Portland "natural" woman, complete with harry armpits and all.  I am sure she had her "green smoothie" directly after class.  I am also pretty sure she wasn't even doing Zumba the whole time but she had some good hip movements.  The entire front row was the "A" row, they had the routines memorized and for this I was thankful because I couldn't even see the instructor. My favorite was the three black grandmas gettin' jiggy with it just behind me.  Every time I glanced over my shoulder I couldn't help but grin as I saw them groovin' to that Zumba music.  And of course class wouldn't be complete without a tiny old man with a head sweat band reminiscing of the Richard Simmons days.  He was pretty serious about his work out.

We all survived class despite our differences and the fact that it became"hot zumba" with all that stinky body heat.  It goes to show that no matter your dance background, age, or body odor all are welcome at Zumba class.

Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to RSS Feed Follow me on Twitter!